Mother nearly killed blood clot urges others to keep getting jabs

Beautician mother-of-two, 32, nearly killed by ‘one in a million’ blood clot from AstraZeneca Covid vaccine urges others to keep getting the jabs

  • Lauren Briggs from North Wales suffered range of symptoms days after having it
  • She thought she had contracted Covid itself after becoming more and more ill
  • But despite her experience, Lauren says she still believes in the vaccine roll-out

A beautician mother-of-two nearly killed by a ‘one in a million’ blood clot from her AstraZeneca Covid vaccine has urged others to keep getting the jabs. 

Lauren Briggs, from Connah’s Quay, North Wales, suffered a range of symptoms within days of getting her jab, starting with a ‘horrendous headache’ before experiencing pain in her lower body that felt like her leg was ‘exploding’.

The pain saw her rushed to hospital where she warned her family on a video call that she may not come home.

The 32-year-old was fit and healthy when she got a text from her GP inviting her for the vaccine in March.  

She thought she was just lucky when she was asked to attend so early and went in to get vaccinated.

But nine days later Lauren started to suffer horrific symptoms and thought she may have the virus itself.

Lauren Briggs, from Connah’s Quay, North Wales (left), is lucky to be alive after suffering a ‘horrendous headache’ within days of getting her jab (right)

She said: ‘I woke up that morning with a horrendous headache.

‘I ached all over and felt a bit dizzy. I couldn’t eat and I spent the entire day in bed – I could barely lift my head from the pillow. My first thought was that it must be Covid.’

Lauren booked herself in to a testing centre on Easter Sunday and got a negative result 24 hours later.

She then developed a terrible pain in her left leg and two days later noticed a red, swollen, varicose vein as she took a bath.

Former beauty consultant Lauren said: ‘I knew it wasn’t normal but at the time it did not occur to me it had anything to do with the jab.’

A nursing friend told her to seek help and Lauren was taken by ambulance to the Countess of Chester Hospital.

A D-dimer test for blood clots showed a reading of 20,000ng per mL – 40 times over what it should be.

Lauren was given two stomach injections of a blood thinning drug and sent home to await a CT scan of her lungs the next day.

She returned to the hospital in acute pain and felt like her leg was ‘exploding.’

Lauren, who is mother to Maisie, four, and Charlie, two, said: ‘I begged a passing doctor for pain relief and he put me in a bed.

Lauren, who is mother to Maisie, four, and Charlie, two, said: ‘I begged a passing doctor for pain relief and he put me in a bed’

‘As soon as my leg was raised, the pain subsided a bit.

‘Ten minutes later two doctors and a consultant arrived, drew the cubicle curtains, listened to my chest and told me I had blood clots in my lungs.

‘I burst into tears again and asked them if I was going to die.’

Tests showed ‘several’ blood clots in her leg and ‘several’ in her lungs. She had Deep Vein Thrombosis and a pulmonary embolism.

Lauren also had anaemia, vitamin D deficiency and ‘extremely’ low blood platelet counts.

Her blood samples were sent to the Royal Liverpool University Hospital to determine if it was linked to the vaccine.

The mother-of-two then started suffering ‘crazy dreams’ and contacted her family on a video call warning them she may not come home.

She was treated for meningitis but her condition improved before she could be diagnosed.

Lauren now wants to warn people of the side-effects which can occur from the vaccine – but says she still believes in the roll-out.

She said: ‘In hospital I was told I was just unlucky, the ‘one in a million’ who will get blood clots.

More than 33million Britons have been given at least one dose of the jabs, while more than 10m have been fully vaccinated

‘I still believe in the programme. I just want people, especially younger women, to be aware they need to act if they feel ill after the jab.

‘Had I not gone to hospital, I probably would have died.’ 

Lauren was discharged on April 13 to be reunited with her children and partner Scott Ellis, 33.

She was formally diagnosed as having ‘vaccine-induced thrombosis and pulmonary thrombocytopenia’.

Her left leg began to swell again and she was readmitted to hospital with more blood clots.

She will now be on the drug warfarin for at least the next six months.

Source: Read Full Article