France condemns ‘cowardly attack’ on Remembrance Day service in Jeddah

Save articles for later

Add articles to your saved list and come back to them any time.

An apparent terrorist attack in the Saudi city of Jeddah on Wednesday appears to have targeted a ceremony marking the end of World War I.

The explosion occurred as several diplomatic delegations from the European Union and other countries gathered at the Remembrance Day event organised by the French embassy.

A Greek government official said at least four people had been injured in the explosion, which the French Foreign Ministry described as a "cowardly attack".

The official, who declined to be named, said the attack had taken place in the "non-Muslim cemetery".

The French Foreign Ministry issued a statement calling on Saudi authorities to fully investigate the attack.

"The embassies that were involved in the commemoration ceremony condemn this cowardly attack, which is completely unjustified," it said.

The blast is the second security incident to apparently target French people in Jeddah in the last couple of weeks.

On October 29, a Saudi man was arrested after attacking and wounding a security guard at the French consulate there. That attack took place on the same day as a terrorist attack in the French city of Nice.

The Nice attack followed the earlier public beheading of a teacher who had shown his class caricatures of the Prophet Muhammad during a civics lesson.

The incident – and French President Emmanuel Macron's subsequent defence of free speech and crackdown on extremism – led to protests in some Muslim countries and a call for a boycott of French products.

Reuters

Most Viewed in World

Source: Read Full Article