Distraught mum of electrocuted boy, 7, breaks down as electrician CLEARED of manslaughter over pub beer garden death

THE heartbroken mum of a boy who died after being electrocuted outside an East London pub wept in court today as an electrician was cleared of his manslaughter.

Harvey Tyrrell, 7, was shocked after sitting on lights on the wall of a pub beer garden while holding onto a metal railing in September 2018.

Colin Naylor, 74, installed the lights at the King Harold pub in Romford but was cleared of manslaughter by a jury at Snaresbrook Crown Court today.

Naylor was found not guilty of gross negligence manslaughter, but was convicted of failing in his duty to protect people from death and injury under the Health and Safety at Work Act.

Harvey's mum, Danielle Jones, broke down in tears after the verdict. 

Police were called to the King Harold pub in Harold Wood, near Romford, Essex, following the incident at around 5.20pm on September 11, 2018.

Harvey was found unresponsive and he was rushed to hospital, but he died just over an hour later.

Naylor worked at the pub for three months between April and June, earning £150-a-day.

The light fixtures are said to have had powerful stolen electricity running through the rig without proper safety earthing mechanisms, the court was told.

Jurors heard there were several points where water had fallen into the defects that only made the entire venue more dangerous.

Naylor, who worked at the pub with his brother-in-law David Bearman, installed the outside lighting three months before the tragedy.

But his defence barrister Graham Trembath QC, appearing via video link, asked jurors to consider the defective lights may not have caused young Harvey's death.

He said that jurors could not rule out the possibility that someone else had removed the earthing and caused the dangerous accident.

Bearman, the landlord of the King Harold, had previously pleaded guilty to gross negligence manslaughter and stealing tens of thousands of pounds of electricity.

Judge Martyn Zeidman, told Naylor he could still face prison for the health and safety offence.

This is a desperately serious matter and a very serious breach.

He said: "You have been found guilty of breaching your duty.

"The fact I am granting you bail gives no indication to the sentence.

"I'm granting you bail because I trust you will attend on the next hearing."

The judge told Harvey's parents after the verdict: "You have sat through this case with immense and incredible dignity and strength.

"The tragedy of Harvey's death is beyond words. This is an utter tragedy."

Naylor and Bearman will be sentenced at a later date.

Source: Read Full Article