Croydon stabbing: Girl, 15, dies after being knifed on bus as cops arrest teen 'known to her' following horror incident | The Sun

A SCHOOLGIRL has died today after being knifed on a bus as cops arrested a teen "known to her".

Medics battled to save the 15-year-old after she was stabbed on board the number 60 bus on Wellesley Road in Croydon, South London, but she died less than an hour later.

The driver of the bus, which was heading to Streatham Station, is said to have asked passengers to look for the weapon.

Officers, the London Ambulance Service and London's Air Ambulance were called at around 8.30am.

The teenager sadly passed away at 9.21am and a crime scene is in place with a white tent erected within a police cordon.

A boy who knows the victim has been arrested, the Metropolitan Police said.

Read more News


BA pilot snorts coke off topless woman… then tries to fly packed plane to UK


Cops arrest woman & man 21 YEARS after schoolboy vanished on way to party

Bus passengers told of their horror after the attack unfolded.

One witness, who didn't want to be named, told The Sun: "Someone attacked a young girl.

Did you see what happened? Contact The Sun Online – email or call 020 7782 4100. You can Whatsapp: 07423 720 250

"The victim was a schoolgirl, she must only have been about secondary school age. She was wearing a green school uniform.

Most read in The Sun


BA pilot snorts coke off topless woman… then tries to fly packed plane to UK


Center Parcs staff member who died after being hit by car is pictured


Danny Dyer reveals damning reason he left EastEnders & slams former co-stars


David Walliams SUES BGT bosses after he was axed over X-rated rant

"When it happened everybody ran off the bus."

Another person on Facebook said: "There's been a stabbing Croydon. Stay away. The bus driver has just asked us all to search for a knife on the bus as he was the closest bus.

"Please be vigilant if you are in the area. When will this end?"

Police quizzed guests having breakfast in the Leonardo Hotel across from Wellesley Road.

Staff at the hotel gathered towels and bin bags before rushing to the scene in a heroic bid to save the young girl.

Beldine Kutima, a receptionist at the four-star hotel, told The Sun: "One of our duty managers went to get the bus but she came back in total shock and was heavily crying.

"She ran back screaming and grabbed towels from the back room and ran back out there."

Chief Superintendent Andy Brittain, in charge of local policing, said: "Our immediate thoughts are with this young girl's family who are facing the most tragic of news. Our officers are with the girl's family to support them.

"I am in contact with the local community, who are clearly as concerned as we are about this tragic incident. I shall continue to update them throughout the day.

"My officers were immediately on scene to provide first aid and support paramedics.

"Acting on information provided to them, officers also worked closely with colleagues from across the Met and the British Transport Police to track a teenager in connection with the stabbing.

"I can confirm that an arrest was made at about 09:45hrs in the Croydon area. At this early stage we believe that he may have known her.

"A crime scene will be in place for some time, and I am grateful for the cooperation of residents."

Mayor of London Sadiq Khan said: "I am absolutely heartbroken by the death of a 15-year-old girl in Croydon this morning.

"My thoughts and prayers are with this young girl's family and friends, and the whole community, at this unimaginably awful time.

"I promise to continue working day and night to end the scourge of knife crime in our city."

Mayor of Croydon Jason Perry said in a statement on social media: "I am devastated to hear that the teenage girl who was stabbed in the town centre this morning has tragically died.

"The Council are in touch with the police and will fully support their investigations. Our whole community's thoughts will be with the victim's family and friends."

Sarah Jones, MP for Croydon Central, tweeted: "I am heartbroken that a child has been killed on her way to school.

"I cannot imagine what her family and friends are going through at this horrific time."

A London Ambulance Service spokesperson said: "We were called today (27 September) at 8:33am to reports of an incident on Wellesley Road, Croydon.

"We sent a number of resources to the scene, including three ambulance crews, an incident response officer, and an advanced paramedic in a car. We also dispatched London’s Air Ambulance.

"We treated a teenager, but very sadly, despite our best efforts, she died at the scene."

Police erected forensic screens and a tent metres from the bus after two ambulances left at around 10am.

Wellesley Road has been closed northbound from Whitgift Centre to St Michael's Road.

Transport for London has diverted its 60, 407 and 455 routes following the harrowing event.



Pepsi brings out new 'best ever' flavour – but not everyone agrees


Will Best reveals HUGE change to new Big Brother as iconic feature scrapped

Anyone who witnessed the attack or has information that can help officers is asked to call police via 101 quoting reference CAD 1601/27Sep.

To remain anonymous contact Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

Source: Read Full Article