Coronavirus 'throws doubt over Princess Beatrice's wedding'

Coronavirus ‘throws doubt over Princess Beatrice’s wedding’ amid fears family and friends of her fiance Edoardo Mapelli Mozzi will be unable to jet to UK from their homes in Italy

  • Queen’s granddaughter’s fiance, 37, comes from Lombardy in locked down Italy
  • It is feared that many guests will not be able to attend if the outbreak continues
  • Princess Beatrice’s wedding is scheduled for May 29 in London 

The coronavirus outbreak may have put plans for Princess Beatrice’s wedding in jeopardy amid fears friends and family of her fiance Edoardo Mapelli Mozzi will be unable to jet in from their homes in Italy.

The Queen’s granddaughter’s fiance, 37, is from Lombardy, which was the first region in Italy to be locked down due to the virus. The whole country has now been quarantined as the number of cases spirals to 9,172.

Beatrice’s wedding is scheduled for May 29 in London but, as health officials warn the outbreak could last for months and airlines ground flights, it is feared many guests will be unable to attend. 

There have been more than 18,000 cases of coronavirus in Europe so far, with more than half in Italy, and 715 deaths. Health chiefs have warned that this is likely to significantly increase in the coming weeks.

Plans for Princess Beatrice’s May wedding may be thrown into jeopardy by coronavirus

Queen’s granddaughter’s fiance traces his family roots to Lombardy, and is thought to still have ties to his family’s Mapelli Mozzi estate in the region

A royal insider told the Daily Telegraph: ‘The coronavirus has thrown a bit of a spanner in the works. Although there is no suggestion that Italy will remain in lock down until the end of May, obviously, the whole thing does cast doubt over the guest list.’

The source said it may also affect who can attend Mr Mozzi’s stag do, for which a date has not been revealed.

Among guests expected not to attend due to an outbreak are the Queen’s 99-year-old husband Prince Philip, who is thought likely to duck out of the ceremony if the virus reaches the same proportions in the UK as it has in Italy. 

Other royal events are also said to be at risk of being cancelled or postphoned due to the emerging crisis, including the reigning monarch’s May garden parties.

Her majesty also has a visit to Cheshire scheduled for March 19, and a visit to the London Borough of Camden on March 26, which could both be impacted by the virus.

It is also feared that coronavirus will affect the list of guests able to attend the stag party

During the Commonwealth Day service at Westminster Abbey delegates were forbidden from shaking hands, in an attempt to stem the potential flow of the virus.

A clip later emerged of Prince William telling Kate how he found the rule ‘weird’.

The Queen was also seen wearing gloves during a royal investiture at Buckingham Palace last week, the first time she has been seen donning the garments at such an event. 

Mr Mozzi holds British and Italian citizenship and is believed to still have ties to his family’s Villa Mapelli Mozzi estate.

A spokesman for him claimed he had only ‘distant relatives’ in Italy. 

Coronavirus, which has reached more than 100,000 cases worldwide, has also thrown other royal events into doubt.

Source: Read Full Article