Maggie Gyllenhaal herself picks up two awards for her works on the psychological drama starring Olivia Colman, while the South Korean hit series is named Breakthrough Series.
AceShowbiz -All the prizes have been handed out at the 31st Annual Gotham Independent Film Awards. At the conclusion of the ceremony that took place on Monday night, November 29, “The Lost Daughter” and “Squid Game” came out as the big winners.
The psychological drama starring Olivia Colman led the winner list with a total of four awards, including the coveted Best Feature. Maggie Gyllenhaal, who made her directorial debut with the film, took home two prizes, Bingham Ray Breakthrough Director Award and Best Screenplay.
Colman herself won Outstanding Lead Performance for her performance as Leda Caruso in the movie. She was tied for the title with Frankie Faison, who earned the accolade for her role in “The Killing of Kenneth Chamberlain“.
Jessie Buckley, who plays Young Leda Caruso, was nominated for Outstanding Supporting Performance, but lost it to Troy Kotsur for his portrayal of Frank Rossi in coming-of-age comedy drama “CODA“. The Sian Heder-directed pic bagged another award in Breakthrough Performer category for Emilia Jones, who takes the lead role of Ruby Rossi.
“Squid Game”, meanwhile, shone in TV field, winning Breakthrough Series (over 40 minutes). As for Breakthrough Series (under 40 minutes), it went to FX’s “Reservation Dogs“. The TV acting award, Outstanding Performance in a New Series, was shared by “The Underground Railroad” star Thuso Mbedu and “The Good Lord Bird” actor Ethan Hawke.
The 2021 Gotham Awards, which took place in lower Manhattan in a vaccinated, Covid-tested, in-person ceremony at its longtime Cipriani Wall Street home, also presented some tribute awards, including Performer Tribute to Peter Dinklage and Kristen Stewart.
Full Winner List of 2021 Gotham Awards
- Best Feature: “The Lost Daughter”
- Outstanding Lead Performance: Frankie Faison in “The Killing of Kenneth Chamberlain” (Gravitas Ventures); Olivia Colman in “The Lost Daughter” (Netflix) (tie)
- Outstanding Supporting Performance: Troy Kotsur in “CODA” (Apple)
- Bingham Ray Breakthrough Director Award: Maggie Gyllenhaal for “The Lost Daughter” (Netflix)
- Breakthrough Series (over 40 minutes): “Squid Game” (Netflix)
- Breakthrough Series (under 40 minutes): “Reservation Dogs” (FX)
- Breakthrough Nonfiction Series: “Philly D.A.” (Topic, Independent Lens, PBS)
- Outstanding Performance in a New Series: Thuso Mbedu in “The Underground Railroad”
- Best Documentary Feature: “Flee” (Neon)
- Best International Feature: “Drive My Car” (Sideshow and Janus Films)
- Best Screenplay: “The Lost Daughter“, Maggie Gyllenhaal (Netflix)
- Breakthrough Performer: Emilia Jones in “CODA” (Apple)
- Director’s Tribute: Jane Campion
- Ensemble Tribute: “The Harder They Fall”
- Icon Tribute: Kathleen Collins (posthumously)
- Impact Salute: Actors Fund of America
- Industry Tribute: Eamonn Bowles
- Performer Tribute: Peter Dinklage; Kristen Stewart
(Amazon Studios); Ethan Hawke in “The Good Lord Bird” (Showtime) (tie)
Source: Read Full Article